Thursday, August 7, 2008

Parting Thoughts

Well...the time has come to bid adieu to Tanzania. I just have tomorrow left and then I head off to Bujumbura where my research adventures into the Congo will begin. I don't really know what I can say about my time here that won't sound cliche. So many parts of my time here have been fantastic....the wonderul people I've met, the engaging conversations I've had, the chance to learn while immersed in a Swahili-speaking community. Other parts of have been eye-opening. Today we took a trip to a home where street children are cared for and educated, mostly in technical skills for future work as farmers, electricians, mechanics, etc. I spent the morning conversing with a 14-year old boy who had lived on the streets for some time before arriving at the home 6 months ago. He was smart as hell. Saidi was his name. He wants to go to college eventually and earn a degree in a math-related field such as accounting, but he feels like it is also important for him to have a good grasp of technical skills such as mechanic-work, wood-work, farming, herding, and welding. Life in Tanzania, he informed me, often requires such skills of every man who wants to have a family and succeesful life....even if his career is not in the technical trades. Such maturity at such a young age; life has robbed him of his childhood and left him with wisdom beyond his years. A meager compensation. I thought about a conversation I had with a young boy of about the same age in America last year. I was up north with my family for memorial day. The kid came over and sat near me by the fire. He proceded to tell me about how stupid he thought school was and how much he hated his teachers. The little punk. I told him he should perhaps think twice about saying such things in front of a future teacher. It's unfortunate that we live in a such a world where a kid like Saidi must grow up on the street dreaming of having education while others get to remain completely oblivious of - and even resentul toward - their own priviledge. But I suppose I am just stating the obvious. Of course it's unfortunate....and equally frustrating.

I don't know that I've had time to fully process the things I've learned here in Tanzania. I am even less sure that I am prepared to process the things that I will learn and see in the Congo. Tanzania was a bit of a soft landing for me. The gated, guarded world of MS-TCDC in Arusha undoubtedly differs vastly from the post-conflict world of the eastern DRC. But I will speak more of such differences when the time comes. For now I will just close this blog entry with an expression of gratefulness to those with whom I've met and conversed here. Nawatakieni wote kila la heri.

Bila shaka Tanzania itakuwa na sehemu maalum moyoni mwangu daima. Natumaini nitapata nafasi ya kurudi badaaye.

2 comments:

fran said...

Nicole, you are one who is smart beyond your years.

Jessica Krug said...

...And hence my resentment of 99.9999% of folks I meet in graduate school...

You'll be ok. Just keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. But you know that already.