Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Just call me Chicken-slayer

So the other day I was walking to the market with a couple of my classmates and two of us somehow got into a discussion about how we thought it might be interesting to buy a chicken, slaughter it, and cook it....a bit morbid, I realize. We decided against doing it that day, but continued to discuss the plan, much to the chagrin of our vegetarian friends who thought we were just interested in being cruel to animals (which is not true, I just had never slaughtered an animal before and I feel like if you can eat the meat, you should be able to slaughter the animal it comes from...humanely, of course). One day we were standing around at chai (we have chai-time every day at 10 am.) discussing said plan and our teacher over-heard us. She thought it was a great idea and that we could make it part of class time....learning how to slaughter, clean, and cook a chicken Tanzanian style. So we proceeded to make plans for this lesson. Since there were only a few of us interested in learning about chicken-slaying, everyone else got to learn how to cook something different...such as pea-stew, spiced rice, or chapati (flat bread). Then we got to eat it all...it was delicious. I myself got to be the official chicken-slayer....see the lovely picture of me doing the deed:




















Sadly, I was not as lucky as my friend Mike....when he slaughtered his chicken, it laid an egg. Personally, I think it was witchcraft.....

Anyway, I hope you have all enjoyed hearing about my chicken-murdering escapades. I feel like I've earned some badge of honor now....I have officially earned the right to eat chicken. Go me.

7 comments:

robs said...

Its like the next level of pigeon kicking.

Jessica Krug said...

Well done! Although until you've killed a goat, you still have no meat street cred. Just sayin'...

Also nice attempt to deflect your own status as a witch. Whatever. We all know the truth...

Miss you!

Nikki said...

Whatever. I'm not a witch. And goats are next on my hit list...

Thiney said...

You are on your way Nicole! I've done chicken, goat, cow, pig....I know there are more but I am so damn proud of you! Nicole you are AWESOME. I agree that if you eat it, you should be able to kill it! Congratulations my friend. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures out there. WOW!!! I'm so excited!!!!

Oh your friend with the chicken that laid an egg, that's a normal thing to happen. It's that or poop! And you are not a witch. If you are...my gosh what the hell am I for sacraficing the other animals???

Unknown said...

I'm oddly proud of you. How'd you kill it? Wring the neck?

Nikki said...

I chopped it off with a knife. It was awesome.

Nikki said...

I chopped it off with a knife. It was awesome.