Thursday, July 3, 2008

Twiga na Temba na Simba...oh my!

We went to Oldupai and Ngorongoro this past weekend. Basically we went on safari courtesy of the U.S. government (a great big thanks to all of my tax-paying readers). It’s true…I was a tourist…a walking talking stereotype. I admittedly feel a bit dirty about it…but I’m not gonna say I’m sorry and you can’t make me. Just look at my sweet pictures….













Hippos, Baby Zebras, Elephants at Ngorongoro...and that's not zoom, folks...that zebra was about 2 feet away from the car...and the elephant was about 10 feet away.























I inserted this snake-charming picture just for you, Annie....and all of my other snakeaphobic friends. I'd post more pictures, but I think I might die of impatience trying to upload them with the slow-ass internet....and if anyone could die of impatience, it would be me...

I dismiss it above, but it seriously was a bit disconcerting to take on that role of the tourist. Even if we like to scoff at other tourists and think of ourselves as different - as students who are here to really learn about the people, the language, the history, and the culture – in the end there is little difference between us and any other tourist. To the teenager selling “Masaai necklaces” on the side of the road we’re just another busload of Americans…Americans who speak Swahili, but Americans nonetheless…customers to whom they can peddle their goods. Making distinctions is far more important to us than to the Tanzanians who depend on tourism for their livelihood.

Anyway...

Other than that things have been peachy keen here. I'm still a little put off by the fact that we're stuck on this gated campus in the middle of the countryside, but I'm slowly coming to grips with it. I still manage to have a lot of interesting conversations when we do get to go out and about. I had a fascinating conversation about American politics with a young guy in Karatu (the village we stayed in overnight on our safari). He told me all about how he thought Bush was a good strong president (insert sneer and poorly-stifled gag noise) and that he wasn't sure that Obama could be as strong. His reasoning was interesting and had much to do with race and power and his reluctance to believe that those who wield power in the world would allow a black man to successfully run the U.S. . While conceding the relevance of his point about race and power in the U.S. and the world at large, in the end I had to disagree with him and argue that we must hope for change. Since when did I become so unabashedly optimistic? Apparently we're supposed to avoid talking about politics here...meh...lame rule.

Ok...I'm rambling now and I need to go get dinner.....more to come soon...this weekend is family stay weekend....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! Those pictures are fantastic!! I would love to "tour" Africa and see zebras up close (and not in a cage, like the zoo). It sounds like you're really busy but enjoying it! Good!

Love!!
~Ashley